Are you considering starting your entrepreneurial journey in the psychedelic health and wellness field but are still determining what to expect? We recommend reading our interview with Richard Avis, the CEO, Executive Chairman, and Co-Founder of NuMind Health, based in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
What’s your business, and who are your customers?
NuMind Health is an organization committed to establishing a network of luxury retreats across the globe, with the primary aim of providing safe and effective environments for individuals dealing with addiction, PTSD, depression, anxiety, and trauma. Our innovative approach to the healing process incorporates psychedelic-assisted wellness programs tailored to meet each client’s unique needs. Our highly skilled coaches and experienced clinicians offer unwavering support throughout the treatment process, from when clients arrive until their departure. NuMind’s luxurious Retreats provide concierge care that is second to none, ensuring that clients receive the best possible experience. Our services extend beyond the retreat, providing long-term support to ensure clients maintain their newfound mental wellness. Importantly, all of our Retreats offer access to legal and licensed psychedelic medicine, further enhancing the quality of our services.
Tell us about yourself.
I have over 30 years of experience as a C-Suite Executive, having successfully established and developed International Franchise Systems while taking numerous start-ups from zero to hero! My expertise lies in commercializing brands, franchise, and business development, recruitment and partnerships, and business acceleration and sustained growth. As a leader and mentor, I am known for my ability to guide individuals and organizations, ensuring they achieve their full potential. Additionally, I am proud to serve as CEO, Chairman, and Co-Founder of NuMind Health Inc., working alongside a magnificent team striving to save lives and make a difference using psychedelic medicines and groundbreaking protocols, systems, and processes.
What’s your biggest accomplishment as an entrepreneur?
My biggest accomplishment has been assisting people and businesses to meet their goals and achieve greatness. My passion is deeply rooted in helping people battling addiction and contributing to the cause of saving lives. It is incredibly gratifying knowing that I can make a difference not only to the person suffering from addiction but to the loved ones that care and support them. They are part of the journey as well.
What’s one of the hardest things that come with being a business owner?
As a business owner, you take on numerous roles and responsibilities. You are accountable for every decision and every individual. Every decision ultimately falls on your shoulders, and the buck stops with you. Be open-minded, have great people around you, and don’t be afraid to ‘pivot’ and change with the times.
What top tips would you give anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Take the time to research and determine if this business is the right fit for you. Reflect on important questions and consider your options carefully.
- Assessing your financial risks and securing funding is essential to ensure your ideas can come to life. Many promising concepts fail to take off due to a lack of funding.
- Identify the problems you want to solve and assess the demand for your product within the market.
- It is essential to analyze your competitors. Observing and learning from their tactics can provide you with a significant advantage. Take note of any strategies that can be applied to your business, and identify ways to enhance and refine them.
- Assemble a team of committed individuals with diverse backgrounds, capable of cultivating a workplace culture that draws others to join a thriving collective.
- Make sure to have fun! Life can be challenging, so take time to ‘smell the roses.’ It’s important to reward yourself and take a break occasionally to do something you love that’s away from the business.
Is there anything else you’d like to share?
I always encourage my team to dream big, fail fast, and have the courage to take bold steps because every idea has the potential to be a great one. Don’t be afraid to learn from your mistakes, but don’t make the same mistake twice!